Ten years ago today, I was:
- A teenager just wanting to move out of my parents' house! Ahh, life without bills. How naive I was!
- Working at a gas station/convenience mart when the power suddenly went out. People were pumping gas on our digital pumps and they all ended up getting free gas because we couldn't 'prove' how much they got.
- Listening to our customers' moods go from excited about the monumental event unfolding to annoyed about how crazy people were driving on the roads without functional traffic lights to worried about how long a blackout during the dog days of summer would last to relaxed and wanting to buy and subsequently drink all the beer we had in the store.
- Counting money by candlelight scared out of my mind that area knuckleheads would try to break into the store since our security system was down (we only had a simple deadbolt on the front door, made of glass).
- Wanting to go home because work was driving me crazy, only to get more annoyed once I got home since I was trying to read books by candlelight.
- Hoping the store would be closed the next day so I wouldn't have to go in.
- Waiting to hear from my aunt who was going into labor with my baby cousin!
So where were you 10 years ago today? Were you affected by the big Northeast blackout of 2003? Leave your story in the comments :)